Thursday, March 10, 2011

Another sleep-deprived Lifer stumbles in...

I'm Sara, another happy (if exhausted) mom. After the birth of my first daughter in 2007, I went back to my job as a software tester and toiled there for two years, trying to survive the vicious cycle of paying for daycare, taking my daughter there, having her get sick and then not being able to go take her to daycare and thus not being able to go to work. It was an insane rat-race and I hated every minute of it. When I unexpectedly got pregnant with my second daughter in 2009, I knew that my tenure as a full-time working mom was about to be over. I knew this because I desperately wanted it to be over and because the cost of daycare for two children would have consumed 95% of my salary, rendering it pointless for me to return to work.

In December 2009, my second daughter, or my "Liberator," as I call her, was born and I did not go back to my job. Shortly before she was born, I managed to secure part-time, work-from-home work that was flexible enough and paid enough to cover the small amount of bills that I'd need to cover now that I would stay home with my daughters. Trying to get anything accomplished while home with two children under the age of four is quite a juggling act, but not nearly as crazy as trying to work full-time in a male-dominated field that frequently demands overtime while being the mother of one or two small children.

Becoming a stay-at-home mom was something I deeply desired from the moment my first daughter was born, and I love it. It did take some adjusting at first. I was sort of horrified when I realized that there are no 15-minute breaks and no lunch hour, it's all-day, non-stop intensity! I also found myself missing my friends from work and fighting loneliness. However, as the months progressed, I figured it out and now have a pretty good system down. I work way harder as a stay-at-home mom than I ever did at a full-time job, but it's the best work I've ever done and I'm so happy! I haven't figured everything out yet, though, and I'll really enjoy blogging about the trials and tribulations, both funny and frustrating, of being a full-time mom while working part-time from home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...