Wednesday, March 23, 2011

SocialMoms.com asks "What is something you have done that no one else has?"

When I saw SocialMoms.com's writing prompt for today,I had to think hard about this question. I'm the mother of two toddlers, so I don't get out much, and even before kids, I was not overly adventurous. However, I have done something that I'm pretty sure no one else ever has. If anyone else has ever done this, I want to meet you, because we should hang out. Here goes.

While in labor with my second daughter, I watched Monty Python's Flying Circus to keep my spirits up. My first daughter's labor was a really long haul... two days of prodromal early labor, followed by 16 hours of active labor. So when I got pregnant with my second daughter, I knew her birth might take a while and I might need some laughs and some entertainment to keep myself going, especially since already having done it once, I knew how much it was going to hurt.

It worked! When one DVD finished, my midwife would go get another one. She was all for anything that helped me get through it. I think she did wonder about me, though. At one point, after a rip-roaring, hellish contraction, I sat there panting in exhaustion, then I looked up at the TV and cracked up when I saw one of my favorite sketches was on, the Funniest Joke in the World. My midwife and her assistant looked at each other like, "What the heck is wrong with this lady?" I didn't care, though, I was too busy laughing.

In all aspects of parenthood, including labor, you really have to keep your sense of humor about you at all times!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...