Friday, April 29, 2011

Friday Show and Tell: All-In-One Cloth Diapers

In honor of last weekend's Great Cloth Diaper Change, this week's Show and Tell is about cloth diapers, specifically All-In-Ones or AIOs. I admittedly had a rough start to my relationship with cloth diapering, but now cloth diapers and I are very much on again. I've been back at it for a couple months now, and I have really settled into a good rhythm with it and have grown to love it.

Before I quit my job after having my second daughter, I researched cloth diapers, read reviews and consulted cloth diapering friends. I know myself well, and know that I'm lazy, so I wanted something that was fairly easy-care and as close to disposable diapers as possible. I settled on All-In-Ones and after reading many reviews, settled on BumGenius.

Now that I am back at it, cloth diapering my 16-month-old during the day and using one disposable diaper at night on her and on my 3-year-old, we are saving more than $40 per month on diapers, which as a stay-at-home mom is a huge help.

Instead of buying diapers every week or every month, you buy diapers once. They are one size fits all, from newborn to 35 pounds, so they will fit your baby from birth to potty-training. The size is adjusted by the snaps on the front, which change the size between small, medium and large.


Each diaper comes with a newborn insert, to fit the diaper when it's snapped into the smallest size, and a regular size insert, which has snaps to adjust it between small, medium and large as well. The absorbent inserts are stuffed inside the waterproof covers, which are made of a fabric called PUL, or polyurethane laminate.


For naptime, I put one regular-size insert and one newborn insert into a cover, and that is absorbent enough to keep my daughter dry and comfortable. Here she is sleeping happily, with a blue BumGenius peeking out!


Both my daughters are "heavy wetters" at night, and no cloth diaper would stand a chance, so that's why we use disposables at night. I used to use disposables when going out, too, but now I've gotten so used to cloth diapers, I use them when going out without a second thought.

As someone who was squeamish about cloth diapering, AIOs have been a great option for me. It feels great to save both money and the environment, and I'd highly recommend them to anyone who wants to give cloth diapering a try!

3 comments:

  1. Great post! So, the inserts are washable? We've used Seventh Generation for our first two but I'd love to give cloth a try when we have our third in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Dawn! Yep, every part of the AIO is washable. I will admit that sometimes I hold my nose or cringe when pulling the inserts out to wash them, but it's usually not that bad! Cloth diapers have pretty specific washing needs. Here's a great page that helps with that: http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...