Thursday, June 16, 2011

People Who Kick Ass - Chiropractors


For most of this week, we'll be joining the ever-witty, immensly readable, Mammalingo in celebrating the people around us who don't get the attention and accolades they properly deserve. Tired of hearing about Weiner's weiner or Lindsay's latest stint in rehab/jail/ankle braceleting? So are we. That's why we're talking about some great people who actually deserve a little press.

I am a fan, admirer and patient of the field of chiropractic. It started 6 weeks after the birth of my first daughter when I was having debilitating migraines and had an awful pain in my neck. I told my midwife, whose husband is a chiropractor, and she had me start seeing him. He did an examination, took X-rays, showed me the problems right on the X-rays and prescribed a course of treatment. Within two adjustments, the devastating pain and migraines stopped. Over time, he corrected a misalignment in my neck that was so bad it even looked wrong to my untrained eyes when I looked at my X-rays. For years, I suffered from periodic, terrible back pain that would last for weeks, but he brought all of this to an end. The pain was gone and I felt great... all without any toxic, mind-numbing medications that as a new, working mother, I couldn't have taken if I'd wanted to.

After the birth of my second daughter, I had stopped seeing that chiropractor because his office, which was convenient to me when I worked because it was 5 minutes from my office, was 45 minutes away from my home and I was now a stay-at-home mom. My baby was 3 months old, I had a 2-and-a-half year old on top of that, I was breastfeeding and learning how to juggle two kids and I told myself I just didn't have time time to find a new chiropractor and it could wait a few more months.

I thought that until one morning when I leaned over to get my baby out of her bassinet for a feeding and something went RRRRRRIP in the middle of my back, causing searing pain. I fed her through the pain, put her down and tried to stand up. A horrible back-spasm knocked me right back down. Sobbing, I called my husband and asked him to come home and then Googled chiropractors near me. Fortunately for me, 2 minutes from my house I found the awesome Dr. Kriss. He was able to see me about an hour after I called and he has state-of-the-art equipment like digital X-rays, so he was able to see and diagnose the problems immediately. My back had been, in layman's terms, royally whacked out by another pregnancy and breastfeeding, which had aggravated old problems. Since I already had been seeing a chiropractor, Dr. Kriss adjusted me on the spot, plus once more later that day and by the next morning, the unholy pain was gone.

Drug-free pain relief. No clouding of my mind, no toxic chemicals to mess up breastfeeding. Treating the root cause of the problem instead of masking the symptoms. Chiropractic kicks ass!

Dr. Kriss prescribed another course of treatment in which I came in very frequently at first, then tapered down to once a month, which is where I am now. When I come in, I don't even have to tell him what hurts or what doesn't feel right. He can tell what hurts by merely touching my vertebrae and then he adjusts my spine and corrects the problem. I leave free of pain, feeling fabulous.

I find that the field of chiropractic is still, mystifyingly, very misunderstood. Whenever someone starts to give me crap about seeing a chiropractor, I quickly shut them up with, "All I know is I was in terrible pain and now I'm not."

Chiropractors kick ass, and Dr. Kriss kicks ass! He keeps me running right, and as the mother and axis of the family, I have to be healthy in order to keep my family and my household healthy and happy!

Want to read about more people who kick ass? Check out these fabulous blogs as well:


An Attitude Adjustment

Good Looking Life

The Daddy Complex

The Sahmmy


If you're a blogger and know some People Who Kick Ass and deserve to be recognized for it, link up with us this week and spread the word.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...