Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Tale of Two Trees

Before I was born I already had two moms - and probably not how you’d think.  One was a woman in her mid-20s who had recently been given the heartbreaking news she’d never bear a child.  Another was a young mother - pregnant out-of-wedlock and willing to give her child another life.  Yup, I’m adopted. 

Growing up I always knew I was adopted.  My parents were very open with me and it was never a secret within my family.  It never made me different – not once did my multitudes of cousins, who also happened to be constant playmates, mention that I was not biologically one of them.  I was raised by two amazing people who instilled in me a sense of structure, well-being and security.  I know there were times, particularly in my teen years, when they wondered what planet I was really from and whether Catholic Services (who was my adopting agency) had actually played a cruel joke on them and handed them a baby from another species.  But those years passed with a “few” grey hairs (or a few less hairs) to show for it.  I can’t speak for them, but I consider them war medals of sorts – and they earned them

When I was 25 it happened.  After never considering finding my birth family, they found me.  Honestly, I was hesitant at first.  I had been provided the most amazing life – what more did I need?  But with the encouragement of my parents, I answered the letter and stepped across the threshold into my new life. 

And it was a new life.  I was an only child – but learned I have 4 brothers & a sister (although now the count is technically at 5 because I have 1 biological, 2 step & 2 in-law).  I have a biological mother and father - their spouses & parents (Gma & Gpa K, you are missed!).  I have a myriad of cousins I have yet to meet.  I have gained new friends.  Often, I have said I get the joy of siblings without fighting for bathroom time.  I know I’m a curiosity to all of them, but I have received exactly the same treatment from them as my adopted family – open acceptance.  And, for that, I am absolutely grateful. 

So, this Mother’s Day, I pay tribute to two mothers – the one who gave me life & the one who taught me how to live it.  To them I give my gratitude and my love. 

2 comments:

  1. That was such a wonderful and touching story. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that this is an adoption story where they all lived happily ever after. Thanks for sharing it on Mother's Day.
    - Ado
    www.themomalog.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...