Friday, June 24, 2011

Friday Show & Tell - "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child"

Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child
The "Sleep Bible"
At one of my multiple (Thanks friends and family!) baby showers, a small notebook was passed around.  The idea was for all Moms present to impart some small nugget of knowledge that would help this first-time mom suppress the urge to rip out all her hair and run screaming to Mexico.  There were the traditional suggestions of "Sleep when the baby sleeps" (Really? Is that when the Laundry Gnome comes to wash the poop-stained onesies for me?) and "Take it one day at a time" (No, it's more therapeutic to lock myself in the closet and scream into a pillow. Trust me. I know.).  While all of the advice was well-intentioned and sincere, one entry changed my life.  My cousin, a new(ish) first-time mom herself, didn't mince words.  She told me to get a copy of Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Marc Weissbluth.  She told me to do it immediately.  To read it.  To know it.  To love it.

Naturally, one doesn't turn down advice like that.  I bought a copy and went to town highlighting, tabbing, and dog-earing (and those of you who know my militant bibliophile ways understand that I NEVER do that).  I followed all of Dr. Weissbluth's instructions and referenced and re-read constantly.  His suggestions started to really jive around my daughter's 8th week (Note: This book is awesome for ANY parent - not just first timers and/or infant wranglers).  I felt like I was taking back some of the control in my chaotic world.  I know it sounds grand and excessive, but I SWEAR that book saved my life and sanity.

I no longer have my well-worn, scribbled-in and loved copy.  I think it's on its 4th or 5th owner by now.  But I have since purchased at least 10 more copies to hand out at baby showers.  Dr. Weissbluth, do you have a punch card?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...